Saturday, April 01, 2006

Indonesia

It's pretty funny that lately, I don't feel ashamed anymore about my country of origin (for its bad reputation for many stupid and chaotic things inside the country), well, at least I don't feel it as strong as I did. I also find it amazing that I can stand out all of sudden after I mentioned where did I come from (and somehow from the way I look, people have always mistakenly thought that I came either from Korea, or Japan -and strangely enough, they didn't mention China cause that will be half true). Of course, after they knew, I still have to explain bout why do I have a different look than the majority of people in my country...and bring them to another story how my great grandparents came from another country). Long story short, after they knew, they give almost the same comments: "Ohh...it's a pretty country, it's very beautiful...You know, I've been there." Or, "Really? Wow...that's cool...I heard a lot about your country, I wish I can go there someday." And the last comments from my classmates:"You know, there's a good restaurant in downtown from your country, I tried and I love it!" and "Wow...I've been in Oz and I met lots of people from your country, and they were all very friendly...too bad I didn't get a chance to go there that time."

And so on...and so on....

But, the biggest thing that lessen my dishonor about my country, when I met someone who is very fond about it. He's been there couple of times, and he's totally crazy about it. He spent almost 2 years just to study it, and the last time I met him, he even told me that he wishes to be rich and someone found a superjet that could fly him there in a much shorter time, so he can go there on the weekends....I was only laughing when I heard this, but still, it gave me a deeper feeling how my country could be very attractive for him, or maybe for many other people out there who I've been met, or, who I haven't been. Then tonight, I just read his story when he was in Bali several years ago...and I was thrilled. He wrote, he'll be back...I know he had, and still he wants to go there again....

I never love my country for what I had gotten when I still lived there, and despite what I feel right now, I don't think I can. But, it is somehow a pleasure now to let people know that I came from Indonesia. It's crappy, but indeed I have to agree, it is a beautiful country.

And I know, one day, I'll be back.

1 Comments:

Blogger irene said...

you were born there for a reason :D

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger