Thursday, May 19, 2005

Not drinking is not a crime!

I went to a party,
And remembered what you said.
You told me not to drink, Mom
So I had a sprite instead.

I felt proud of myself,
The way you said I would,
That I didn't drink and drive,
Though some friends said I should.

I made a healthy choice,
And your advice to me was right,
The party finally ended,
And the kids drove out of sight.

I got into my car,
Sure to get home in one piece,
I never knew what was coming, Mom
Something I expected least.

Now I'm lying on the pavement,
And I hear the policeman say,
The kid that caused this wreck was drunk,
Mom, his voice seems far away.

My own blood's all around me,
As I try hard not to cry.
I can hear the paramedic say,
This girl is going to die.

I'm sure the guy had no idea,
While he was flying! high,
Because he chose to drink and drive,
Now I would have to die.

So why do people do it, Mom
Knowing that it ruins lives?
And now the pain is cutting me,
Like a hundred stabbing knives.

Tell sister not to be afraid, Mom
Tell daddy to be brave,
And when I go to heaven,
Put Daddy's Girl on my grave.

Someone should have taught him,
That it's wrong to drink and drive.
Maybe if his parents had,
I'd still be alive.

My breath is getting shorter, Mom
I'm getting really scared.
These are my final moments,
And I'm so unprepared.

I wish that you could hold me Mom,
As I lie here and die.


I received this note from my co-worker. And I just think that I have to spread the words.
First of all, I am not against drinking. But, drinking should be only for fun and enjoyment. Not for punishment (sounds a bit of commercial). I do drink sometimes. But, one thing that really make me can't stop thinking about it, how come people always make relation between drinking and courage? If someone doesn't want to drink, people will say, hey, you're a chicken. Or, hey, you're not fun. What?? It really makes me angry, and also pity for those people who make a very shallow judgment. Don't you think that you should honor other's decision?
Drinking should always be followed with responsibility, and that's why there is a limitation for age because it is assumed that over 21 will be old enough to take the drinking responsibility. But hey, I guess the fact will say the opposite.

About almost a month ago, I went to this gathering. Lots a young girls there. And we could get free drink. As I was driving that time, I decided to pass. And all of the other girls looked at me with weird expression, maybe they thought this girl must be either a chicken or a geek. One girl asked me, hey, why don't you order something? I replied that I ordered OJ, and she was shocked. What? No drink? How come? C'mon, it's not fun without drinking. I said to her that I was driving. And she answered : so what? Just a little... Hmm....her answer really made me....hmpphh...I don't even know how to say. Why would you take just a little of fun if there is a risk of killing you? Or even worse, hurt other people.

Again, I am not an anti-alcoholism, or whatever that name. I drink too sometimes, only if I am not driving, or if I really in the mood for drinking. I don't want to drink just because it will make me look cool, or to be accepted in one environment. If that environment won't accept me because I choose not to drink, maybe that environment is not for me, and I will be more than a happy camper to get my butt out and leave.
I will never drink just because people tell me to do so, and hopefully, people out there who have the same opinion with me, could stand behind their decision. And believe me, it's not a crime for not drinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger